We were in Laya (Part – 10): Laya to Gasa


Sigh, who likes to return from such a lovely place. Yet, nothing lasts forever and here we were returning from Laya. It was our last breakfast in Laya, eleven ponies of Parasite were set and ready to bid farewell. Our fatty was lost again, but he was up to some good, he went around giving away the remaining stock. He gave two tomatoes and two onions each, but why not all and just two? His experience and logic made sense; people here go without even a single tomato or onion for months given the rough terrain and distance. That was so thoughtful of him. 

Our tents, photographed 10 minutes prior to un-pitching and folding
So we bid laya, “A long good bye”
Welcome to Laya Gate
The last folks to leave
Took one last glimpse of beautiful Laya and we bid farewell, “Until next time, this is a long good bye!” We walked like a pro and ponies couldn’t catch us up, it was all descend till we reached Koina. I tried to walk ahead and take some pictures of our mates in action, and so I did. Our team had lunch at Thongchudrak, I didn’t feel like eating so I had a bottle of mango juice and two eggs. Midst our lunch two lamas came with two little Bhutanese mastiff puppies, could not help playing with them. They were so cute and fun to play with. I wished if I could take one with me, but then I had no place to keep in Thimphu.They are going to grow so huge within a few months and need a larger room. I dont have one, so quickly did away with the dream of taking one…..We continued walking down.
She would lead
And she would follow sometimes
A group photo with waterfall as the backdrop
Strong branches had roots deep into the heart of the tree
Lunch at Thongchudrak
Stall was all packed, but outside was warm – Lunch
Front view of the Thongchudrak Stall
The Thongchudrak Stall
A group photo before I left them to catch others up for some last shots
Baby Bhutanese mastiff
In about an hour we were in Ponjugang. I just could not believe, while going up it was such a hurdle and now when returning, we could walk straight to Ponjugang in just six hours. Everyone was as fine as a fiddle, except Gem had a little rough time with his knee but he managed. It was 1 O’clock we had our second lunch in Ponjugang. Expected a pickup truck waiting for us, but he had left taking some of our guys. So, we hired another one, dumped half of the loads and departed for Gasa leaving five of them behind accompanied by the team leader.  We were to send the truck back to pick them up.On the way I realized I had in fact left my sun glass in Thongchudrak while playing with those mastiff puppies. Whoever found it, I hope she/he is taking a good care of it, because it was my favorite. 
The first bridge past Thongchudrak
Gem Thsering’s left knee gave him a problem but he managed
Serene Mochu, sometimes
One of 3 wooden bridges built by Army
Our Pattaya beach
Caught Ashim Lhamu and others
Acho faced the camera on a right click
Had to walk past to catch others
Ponies did their best
Caught the other group of our folks
Caught them, Ashim Ching ching and ata Sonam
Past I went
Mochu trickling
Koina – 1 (P.S guess what did I cut in the pic?)
Koina – 2 (Guess whats ashim Ching Ching hiding? LOL)
Over Koina bridge
White Pony
Our highlander friend/host/guide – Parasite
By then I had learned how to, “Awwwwww aww awwww”
Far down below Acho Penjor was leading Menda, ashim Chim and ata Dorji
Little did they rest, I saw from my telephoto lens
Yes, its 28 KM from Gasa Tshachu to Ponjugang
Settled well in my friend Dr. Wangchuk’s quarter at 5.30 pm, in Gasa. A few of our guys wanted to go Tshachu with Sangay Khandu but sadly his car’s wheels were jammed. Tried everything in our capacity to make it free and it won’t budge. I started receiving calls from our folks up in the jungle asking about the truck, worried like anything if it was at all coming, since it’s getting dark now. I did a rough calculation and reassured them it will be up any time now and by 7.30pm they will reach Gasa, by any means. Quite assured and relaxed they were, so were we; because we could manage to make at least one rear wheel rotate. Sangay put on 3G and started surfing net, aue Penjor would try hitting with a hammer and when finally we could see the headlight beam of our folks coming from Ponjugang just near by, Dr. Tenzin’s left kick fixed the entire wheel jamming problem. Everyone was tired and decided to go Tshachu after dinner. Our ladies had dinner served.
Folks fixing Sangay Khandu’s car surfing net,
it took 2 hours to free those jammed  wheels
It was during dinner acho Karma T. and ata Dorji spoke of spotting a bear near Ponjugang. And later we concluded that our lost baggage was stolen by bears when we had all our bags piled up underneath the huge tree, as we waited for our ponies to arrive, on the second night. The night when four of us slept in a military tent like logs, and thank goodness they didn’t pay a visit to us……………The lost bag contained dried fish.
Off to Tshachu we headed at 9pm. Dorji was sick and he did not want to go. Soaked in for two hours and when we were back home it was 12am. Menda was fast asleep but some of us had some noodles before going to bed. It was a tiring day for all of us, we crashed like babies. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here